If your gums bleed regularly or feel irritated or swollen you may be experiencing gum disease. Periodontal disease is a progressive oral health concern that should be addressed by Dr. Ludlow as soon as possible to prevent further damage to your teeth and gums. Dr. Ludlow also works closely with a local board-certified periodontal specialist for patients with advanced periodontal disease.
Gum Disease and Your Health
Gum disease is a leading cause of tooth loss and can have negative impacts not only on your oral health but your systemic health as well. Recent studies have shown the importance of the mouth-body connection for reducing your risk of developing both cardiovascular and systemic related disease. Poor oral health can increase internal inflammation, one of the key factors associated with these type of health concerns. For patients with diagnosed heart disease, diabetes, and other chronic conditions, maintaining healthy gums can play a role in the effectiveness of your disease maintenance. Discuss your overall medical history and concerns with Dr. Ludlow during your visit so that we can offer personalized care and make appropriate recommendations for keeping your smile healthy between visits.
Healthy gums are essential for supporting a healthy and functional smile. Dr. Ludlow provides comprehensive and personalized treatment for gum disease. Through innovative and modern dental technology, our dental care team can restore health and beauty to your natural smile.
Biannual dental checkups at our Holladay dentist office provide patients with thorough oral health exams that screen for periodontal disease. Early diagnosis is key in preventing further damage to your teeth and gums.
Treatment For Bleeding Gums
Your treatment will depend on the stage and severity of your gum disease. Dr. Ludlow will evaluate the health of your teeth and gums before recommending an appropriate treatment option for both restoring and maintainingy long term gum heath.
Treatment options can include:
- Antibacterial rinses: for mild gingivitis or patients with chronic gum disease, the use of an antibacterial rinse as part of your daily oral hygiene can reduce bacteria and restore oral health.
- Scaling and root planing: for more advanced gingivitis, a more intense in office cleaning procedure can remove plaque from the deep gum pockets and tooth roots to avoid disease progression and permanent damage.
- Laser dentistry: Dr. Ludlow utilizes advanced laser therapy for the treatment of gum disease with more accuracy, fewer side effects and lasting results.
- LANAP: Dr. Ludlow is one of very few Salt Lake City area dentists trained in the LANAP procedure. LANAP is a highly effective alternative to oral surgery that uses a special laser specifically designed to clear out the bacterial infection that causes gum disease. LANAP treatment eliminates the need for gum surgery in advanced cases of periodontal disease. LANAP is less invasive than traditional procedures and reduces patient down time. LANAP laser therapy can help prevent the loss of teeth, and the spread of the infection to your blood stream.
- Oral surgery: when deemed necessary, Dr. Ludlow can work with a local periodontist to coordinate care for advanced periodontitis, including oral surgery.